Friday, June 26, 2009

Annette Vallon: A novel of the French Revolution by James Tipton


This book left me in tears. I knew very little about the French Revolution before reading it; mainly what was taught in high school and briefly in college. I admit I was a little hesitant to read it considering I knew next to nothing, but I am thankful I did. There are no twists and turns that leave you waiting for more. There is only the hope that nothing bad happens to the heroine, Annette Vallon. And of course wanting to know how the relationship between her and the poet William Wordsworth plays out. I was drawn into their love and hoped that he would return to France unscathed and stay forever. The people Annette saved during the Revolution and the lives she touched are inspiring. She is a true hero in every meaning of the word.

I’m not a huge fan of books written in the first person since you can only get one perspective, but the author did a fantastic job with this. Though you don’t get to see inside anyone else’s head, you can feel their thoughts through his words. I will be looking for more books by him and hoping they all read as easily as this one did.

I enjoyed this book tremendously and was very sad to see it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment