Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

This was my first book in the Civil War Challenge (remember I modified it since I started it 6 months behind schedule). I have mixed feelings about the book as of now. I certainly enjoyed reading about the American solider in battle and what he feels and thinks, but at the same time I had a hard time really getting into it.

Henry joins up with the Union army and sets off to war. He begins as a boy wanting to see battle and trying to figure out how he will act in the midst of fighting. He ends as a man, a veteran of war, who is aware of his faults and shortcomings, but who has found courage.

It was a good book and I will probably read it again, if only to grasp more of what I may have missed the first time around. And being that it was short (only 189 pages), it won't take long.

All in all I give this book 4 pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment